Re: LDAP expand alias

On Wed, 19 September 08:09 Steven Anker wrote:

> I've recently started using Balsa and I think it's great. But I do have
> some problems with the expand alias option for LDAP address books. I've
> enabled it, but it doesn't do anything. If I type a name (when composing a
> message) which can be found in a GnomeCard address folder then it expands
> as I type. But nothing happens with the LDAP addresses. Did I forget to
> enable some option or is this feature not supported for LDAP?

LDAP doesn't work like this - at least not when querying the server.
LDAP searches, it does not perform key-value queries.  When there are many
entries on the LDAP server and the entire database is searched on every
keystroke, servers are quickly overwhelmed.  Its not possible either to
download many entries and search locally - most LDAP servers limit the
size of the response if the query is too general.  The correct way to use
LDAP is to perform specific searches - e.g. email address for a given name,
members of a specific mailing list - that sort of thing.

> I've looked through the mail-archives quickly, but couldn't find anything.
> So I hope I do not ask something which is already discussed.

Its in there!

Brian Stafford