Re: incorrect mime types

On 2001-09-11 03:09:10 +0200 Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> On 2001.09.11 01:45:31 +0200 Heber Farnsworth wrote:
> > Balsa is inconsistent in recognizing mime types.  I frequently get e-mails
> > with pdf files attached.  These seem to always be listed as
> > application/octet-stream so I have to save the attachment and start a
> > viewer.
>
> no, not balsa is inconsistent. gnome is inconsistent because gnome mimetypes
> detection is not good, hopefully this will be solved within gnome 2.0 but i
> cant promise this.

I think you're mistaken - balsa is indeed inconsistent.
Try the following:

Compose a new message and attach a pdf file - it will show up correctly in
the attachment pane as application/pdf (so gnome didn't lie to balsa).

Now save the message to the Drafts box and look at it - the attachment
is now text/plain !

Continue the message - and the attachment appears in the body (aargh!)

Start all over again, Compose a new message with pdf attachment; now
Send it and look at it in the Sent box - the attachment has mutated
to x-unknown/(null)

> > I thought this might be a problem in how the sender's mail was configured
> > but then I opened my mailbox with Netscape mail and it correctly identified
> > the attachment as application/pdf.
>
> as i said its a gnome related problem not balsa.

If that's the case, then why does balsa try to have gnome determine the
MIME type more than once???

> > Try this.  I've attached a small pdf file as a test.  In the attachment
> > pane of the compose window it is listed as application/pdf.  When I send it
> > to myself it shows up was x-unknown/(null).  Why not pdf?
>
> go into gnome-control-center and in the mimes part try to solve your stuff
> there. otherwise go to gnome 1.4 or 2.0 mailinglist and report the problem.

Please note that the first time balsa shows you the MIME type of the new
attachment, it is correct.  It only gets mangled later in the process
(by balsa?)

cheers
  Anders