incorrect mime types

Balsa is inconsistent in recognizing mime types.  I frequently get e-mails
with pdf files attached.  These seem to always be listed as
application/octet-stream so I have to save the attachment and start a
viewer.

I thought this might be a problem in how the sender's mail was configured
but then I opened my mailbox with Netscape mail and it correctly identified
the attachment as application/pdf.

Then I thought balsa must not be able to recognize this mime type but this
isn't true either because I can save an attachment I was sent and then
attach it to a new e-mail and balsa correctly lables the attachment as
application/pdf.

Balsa is good at most mime types.  I have no problem with Excel files or
Word documents (I mean balsa has no problem -- I send nasty-grams to people
who send Word files.)  These are correctly identified and balsa let's me
spawn a viewer.  What's up with pdf?

Try this.  I've attached a small pdf file as a test.  In the attachment
pane of the compose window it is listed as application/pdf.  When I send it
to myself it shows up was x-unknown/(null).  Why not pdf?

Heber

tryit.pdf