Re: Forwarding attachments

On Tue, 11 September 13:16 Olaf Frączyk wrote:
> On 2001.09.11 13:23:50 +0200 Toralf Lund wrote:
> > On 2001.09.11 15:23 Philip Rhoades wrote:
> > > Ali,
> > >
> > > I had a look in the archives for Sep 2001 - couldn't see anything about
> >
> > > "forwarding" AND "attachments"
> >
> > The thread started by Albrecht Dreß, with subject "EXPERIMENTAL PATCH:
> > attached forward", is relevant to this. I don't think a final version of
> > the patch has been published yet, though.
> >
> > BTW, the code submitted doesn't try to "forward attachments" as such, it
> > simply forwards the _entire_message_ as a separate part. That's the way
> > forwarding should work, I think.
> Hi,
>
> So I will be unable to remove some attachments (eg. the message has 3
> attachments, but I would like to forward only 2 of them)?

This is moving into the relam of creating a new message using edited extracts
of the original message.  It seems to me that this scenario is best served
by making it possible to add "attachments" consisting of MIME parts extracted
from messages in a mailbox.  (Just to be explicit - this would not mean removing
the ability to attach files.)

> And, will it be possible to make some changes in "text" part of forwarded
> message (eg. somebody sent me some mail, I add corrections to this, and
> send to another person)?

This is what basla does now.  It is all that balsa does now and for many
purposes it is inadequate.  To date I've not come across a UA that is
particularly good at editing in this situation - mostly because of the
stupid '>' handling when copying excerpts of the original message and
because there is nothing to prevent the original text from accidental
alteration.

For the purposes of corrections, I feel this is best done by quoting the
original verbatim and then showing the corrected text.  Otherwise the
original author may be attributed things they never said (notwithstanding the
fact that this is hard to prevent and email is easily forged).  I feel strongly
that quoted text should always be regarded by message editors as a read-only
quantity.

Regards
Brian Stafford