impressions of balsa1.2pre3...

I haven't used Balsa regularly nor programmed in it since 1.0, but wanted
to say my impression of working with it for a few minutes is already great.
 I'm already noticing some slight problems though.

example: resizing is somewhat difficult.  The "Unread" and "read" fields on
the left pane are too large, why not auto-adjust them according to the
number in the column?  I see no usefull reason why those columns should
ever be larger than required?  In fact, why not do something like this
instead, getting rid of columns...

Inbox (5)
Outbox
Balsa-List (32)
FSF-List
Gnome (4)

the number in brackets, when present indicates number of unread messages.
Very simple, and very effective?

Another suggestion I had would be with dates in the subject preview pane.
Why not allow the user to customize the format?  Or better yet, list the
year last, as that's the most repetative part.

I'm sure I'll have more suggestions and if I could code to help out right
now, I would.

I'm personally very thankfull to everyone writing this great mailer!!