Re: Broken display options for mime parts.

On 2001.09.02 22:30 Carlos Morgado wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 06:07:17PM -0700, Gordon Oliver wrote:
> >
> > Which tickles another pet peeve of mine... I'd really like to have an
> > option
> > on almost _any_ type that says "put this in a pane as if it is plain
> text".
> > If handled carefully, this should not cause any harm, and will be
> wonderful
> > for all those times when people send patches as
> application/octet-stream.
> >
> gnome-mime issues :\ gnome-mime should allow a generic type text/*. does
> it
> ? :)
> move to gnome-vfs ? :)
GnomeVFS definitely allows wild card MIME types in "keys"; fields from
these are propagated to all "more specific" entries which don't define them
explicitly. You can also look up e.g. "text/*" directly. There's also
gnome_vfs_get_mime_type_for_data (), which could probably be used to find
out if an attachment really contains text, but I don't know how well it
works...

> > (Yes it would be nice if they didn't but we can't fix that)
> >
> > I've also noticed that there is some rather painful stuff going on with
> the
> > mime handling... On my system (Redhat 7.1 + Ximian) I sometimes get a
> menu
> > of about a dozen things when I right click on an attachment... Can we
> make
> > this better? It looks like balsa is getting a list of everything that
> > appears
>
> humm .. yeah that sucks. i think that was "testing" code and lingered.
This problem will of course disappear if we use gnome-vfs app lists only.
If we want to use lists _and_ Open/View/Edit actions, we need to lookup
predefined keys only, or ignore some of the ones we _know_ don't refer
directly to an application, such as short_list... and default... My patches
will do just that (actually, all keys containing "_" are skipped, which
looks good in most cases.)