Re: IMAP plain text authentication

On 2001.10.25 00:14 Myroslava Dzikovska wrote:
> OK, so I recompiled the newest version, balsa 1.2.1 with SSL. Now I get
> this message
>
> /C=Russia/L=Moscow/O.U.= Zenon N.S.P. Certificate
> This certificate accepted but not verified!!!
> SSL connection using TLSv1/SSLv3(RC4-SHA)
> CRAM-MD5 authentication failed
>
> Where do I go from here? Looks like I won't get any help from the
> sysadmin
> - since several people are using it with windows programs with no
> problems, and Netscape on my system works, he says I should look
> for trouble in my settings, and that's it. Any suggestions about what
> else can I check would be appreciated.

Well, I politely disagree with your administrator's opinion: I believe
server should not claim it can support an authentication method when it
cannot.
The best thing you can do now - I think - is to edit libmutt/imap/auth.c
and comment out the following line:

   { imap_auth_cram_md5, "cram-md5" },

at the top of the file. This will cripple balsa by disabling the cram-md5
support. Then configure balsa with --with-ssl. Balsa will then use TLS for
encrypting the connection and LOGIN for authentication.

> A couple of questions in relation to it. I'm behind a firewall. Can this
> be causing trouble?

I do not think so. This could be the reason if you could not get the
connection at all.

> Also, would it make any difference if I compiled
> --with-sasl? I actually tried, but there's a file missing from the
> disctribution (mutt_sasl.c), how do I get it?

sasl is not yet supported. When it will be, it will do the same thing just
using different routines (exactly: will use cyrus-sasl library instead of
own routines).

/Pawel