Re: [libesmtp-devel] Away for a bit

On 2001.10.19 11:22 Charles Kerr wrote:
> >> How many projects do releases without RPMs?  I have to admit
> >> I'm surprised that there aren't RPMs on the libesmtp home page.
> >> Most people just don't build from tarballs.  My preference would
> >> be to have options 2 and 3 on the esmtp page:
> >
> > FreeBSD :)  There's a VERY strong preference to build from source in
> the
> > *BSD community.
>
> In what way does the presence of RPMs/debs inconvenience the
> FreeBSD community? :)

The "presence of RPMs" is not (really) a problem, but the (sometimes)
resulting absence of tarballs would be very painful.  The binary tarball
generation process (called a package on FreeBSD) is handled on my
end--Brian doesn't need to know ANY of the gory details.  I'm sure he
appreciates it.

Regardless, most FreeBSD'ers I'm in contact with always build from
source.  I wrap Brian's work in mine so that that process is
accomplished reasonably transparently.  Again, I don't think Brian would
want to be too involved in the mechanics of any particular
package/RPM/debs process.  IMHO, that's for the port maintainer to do on
the respective "flavors."

--
jmc

MacroHard -- the perfection of form over
             substance, marketing over
             performance, and greed over
             design . . .