Re: new ver. of balsa?

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 09:47:02PM +0200, Pawel Salek wrote:

> 0. One thing that I really wanted to fix but lack of the time stopped me
> was to fix the long-standing bug that prevented using balsa without
> storing IMAP passwords in the configuration file. This is really top item
> on my TODO list but somehow something always hindered me from fixing it.

weird bug. it WorksForMe at work but fails *sometimes* at home.

> Another fix that worries me are relatively frequent reports on crashes in
> reflow_string (search bugzilla for reflow_string in the description): I do
> not know how to reproduce them but I believe they might have something to
> do with non-8-bit charsets.

non-8-bit charsets ? you mean zh and such ?

> 1. I think I will release 1.2.1 within 1-2 days with a warning that it is
> a feature release, not necessarily a stability improvement. I have
> recently experienced some crashes recently and it is below my stability
> standards (because it is usually the ordinary users that experienced
> crashes, very rarely me). But I think it is important to share what we got
> now in CVS before we move on.

cvs has been pretty good to me. the lack of imap timeouts bit me once or
twice but apart from that it runs smooth. i must say i don't use ldap or
spell :)

> 2. There are couple of things that I would like to do in the 1.3.x series
> (and I have impression, many other people as well). A number of things are
> inevitable: we should migrate to gtk+-1.3/2.0 and gnome-vfs, for example.
> We have to consider gconf, few things would become easier if we used it.
> MIME handling bugs me. I consider gmime superior to libmutt but it is not
> that easy to switch, and using gmime in one or two places only does not
> sound appealing to me.

Exactly. I've been meaning to talk to fejj about it as the status of gmime
and it's relation to gnome (and ximian :)) seems unclear to me.

<rant>
As for _replacing_ libmutt (see other thread), please don't waste time with
half arse libs. If anything is to replace libmutt it must be clean,
*fast* and gpl compliant. It must be consistent for local and imap.
Untill now, none filled this requirments. All were either ugly, slow,
incomplete or a combination of those.
As for imap, all code i've seen till now blows dead bears (including
libmutt and servers).
My road map would be to keep libmutt and possibly migrate parts/all of the
imap code to libbalsa (like it happened for pop) as that pretty much is the
only way of getting nice nonblocking io (hum .. maybe not - brainstorm).
As it stands, for local access (lib)mutt is pretty much unbeatable.
</rant>
pawel ?

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the
universe." -- Carl Sagan