Re: gnome-pim

On 2001.10.17 03:31:45 +0200 m96 wrote:
> since we use gnomecard (which is part of gnome-pim) to store addresses i
> thought the following few lines from the current gnome-pim maintainer
> "Russell Steinthal <rms39@columbia.edu>" would interest you:
>
> You should also know, however, that gnome-pim is essentially
> deprecated in favor of Evolution; I'm really only putting in patches
> which I receive or fixing minor bugs, rather than doing any real new
> development.  At some point in the future, it will probably be
> removed from the core GNOME distribution.

i doubt that this will happen that soon, since not everyone likes
evolution. i do a checkout of gnome-pim cvs every day and i see
someone adding stuff to it. i dont know why people want to replace
light easy powerfull apps with huge crashing bloatware. i have tried
evolution several times now (shame on me) and feel myself falling back
to balsa and gnome-pim all the time.

the structure of its addressbook has changed 2-3 times from what i know.
once they used some own stuff to create the database (one large cluttering
binaryfile) then they used berkley-db (some older version) and now dunno
what they use. i think as long as there are people like us and as long as
there are people not using evolution as long are chances good that we keep
gnome-pim.

not to mention that i dont really like to use tools made by commercial
companies. today everything is free but how long ? now to quote one sentence
i have read on #gnome from miguel a while back where he says something like
this 'nothing is for free' well lets see.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de