Balsa Error

Hello

I'm very fustrated right now with gnome in general.  I've been trying to
update my gnome desktop, which has been somewhat unstable, using Ximian and that
failed.  I compile it from source, which failed miserably.  So I uninstalled all
the rpms and reinstalled them, but I can't get basic things to work again.  One of
these is my balsa client.

I get this error when I run it:

balsa: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/local/lib/libgdk_imlib.so.1: undefined symbol: png_create_read_struct

I compiled it by hand because the RPM's don't work on SuSe.

This is an upgraded SuSe 7.1.  I took everything off the SuSe site.

What can I do to make this work.

Ruben