From: Ruben Safir
To: Liz Arum; hangout@nylxs.com
Cc: ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Sent: 11/16/01 3:01 PM
Subject: [hangout] Work Sheet

Liz

I looked over your work sheet and I'm impressed with the effort.

The evaluation of the site is rather extenssive. I don't agree with all
the
points, and find some of them boiler plated of what I consider some of
the worse
commerical practices on the web. Even still, you bring out a some very
significant shortfalls on our part to adress some key issues. And I'm
hoping
that you help us develop a hugely popular and useful membership section.

I'm a little concerned that the search engines have not yet correctly
indeexed
the site. I expect that to change when Yahoo adds it to it's directory
and as
more links develop to it from accross the communittee.

On-line credit card transactions are dead in the water, and I have no
personal
interest in going that route. The critism of the job section makes some
assumptions about the sections goals which I purposely distanced the
section
from. This is not a corperation looking for resumes. We wanted to focus
and
attacking real companies to post Free Software jobs on the page. We want
avoid the recruiters. I would be interested in hearing an evlautation
based on
the jobs site in the context of that goal.

The seperate URLs listed in my sig are not umbrella or related.

The Calendar should be expanded incorperating much of your points. The
politics
section absolutely is not to be folded into another section :)

Mailing list login is designed to be most simple, and easy to add
multiple
signups quickly, but we can add a 'Succeeeded" message.

My resume - Besides any points...

Spelling and grammer errors, I assign you and Peter Lehrer to purge them
all!

News, Privacy and other sections normally associated with comerical
site...keep
in mind I want this site to look DIFFERENT, anything but cookie cutter
:)

We have no privacy statement. Only organziations with no respect for
privacy and
who collect information on you need those things.

Images....I'm not messing with them unless they are part of a decoration
of a
webpage. (See how many I have in the images directory). These are not
just a
matter of web graphics, but they are an archive of events, and I want
them to
remain unadulterated as much as possible, available to the public in
their
original state.

Branding is important, and we will discuss this more.

Overall, we should get a committee to address this report in detail.

Lastly, I want to say that I really apreciate the effort you went
through to do
this excellent review of the sites as they currently exist. I'm
personaly
honored to have you take such an active roll in NYLXS. If we had 5
people like
you in NYLXS we could probibly obtain every goal and change the most
basic
relationship folks have with their computer and communication systems,
and
enable the public to reach their full potential as free citizens.

Thank you very much....

Ruben

--
__________________________

Brooklyn Linux Solutions
__________________________
http://www.mrbrklyn.com -
Consulting http://www.brooklynonline.com - For the love of Brooklyn
http://www.nyfairuse.org - The foundation of Democracy
http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/resources - Unpublished Archive or stories and
articles
from around the net

http://www2.mrbrklyn.com/mp3/annie.mp3 - Armed and Dangerous....

1-718-382-5752

New Yorker Linux Users Scene
Fair Use -
because it's either fair use or useless....
--

Brooklyn Linux Solutions