Re: ANNOUNCE: libESMTP 0.8.7

On 2001.11.07 21:33 John Merryweather Cooper wrote:

> On 2001.11.07 09:06 Brian Stafford wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> LibESMTP 0.8.7 is out!
>>
>> This mostly tackles build issues and there is a small improvment to
>> error handling.
>>
>> Download the tarball at
>> 	http://www.stafford.uklinux.net/libesmtp/libesmtp-0.8.7.tar.bz2
>>
>> Regards,
>> Brian
>>
>> Recent changes
>>
>> 2001-10-05      Brian Stafford  <brian@stafford.uklinux.net>
>>       * errors.h libesmtp.h
>>         Improve handling of error codes from getaddrinfo.  Delay
>> mapping
>>         of codes to make debugging easier.  libesmtp.h defines new
>> error
>>         codes for the relevant EAI_XXX codes from getaddrinfo.
>>         smtp_strerror will use gai_strerror if appropriate.
>>
>> 2001-10-31      Brian Stafford  <brian@stafford.uklinux.net>
>>       * configure.in
>>         Added test for sun platforms and define __EXTENSIONS__ so
>> that
>>         sun's netdb.h will declare the getaddrinfo stuff. (James
>> McPherson)
>>
>>       * crammd5/md5.[ch]
>>         Type sanity: change u_intXX_t to uintXX_t.  Also changed the
>>         argument for the buffer and length to void * and size_t
>>         respectively in md5_update.  Buffer for md5_final is now
>>         unsigned char.
>>
>> 2001-10-17      Brian Stafford  <brian@stafford.uklinux.net>
>>       * headers.c
>>         Fixed a core dump bug which strikes when existing headers in
>>         message are substituted.
>>               * Makefile.am
>>         Reinstated libesmtp.spec into tarballs.
>
> I've ported libesmtp-0.8.7 to FreeBSD and I have the tarball mirrored
> to my site.  Aside from the configure script crashing (I'm having to
> autoconf it to get a runner), there's a minor issue with POSIX
> Threads handing.
>
> I'm now passing PTHREAD_LIBS and PTHREAD_CFLAGS through the
> environment during the configuration pass.  configure correctly
> detects that POSIX threads are supported.  The problem is that the
> contents of PTHREAD_LIBS are not getting appended to LIBS.
> Consequently, I'm having to do this by passing it through the
> environment in LIBS.  The same goes for PTHREAD_CFLAGS.  Admittedly,
> both are quite minor.
>
> My port of Balsa-1.2.3 for FreeBSD was committed today.  :)
>
> --
> jmc

OK, I've figured out what the problem is with configure and
libesmtp-0.8.7 on FreeBSD.  configure simply over-writes whatever is in
PTHREAD_LIBS with (in the case of FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE) -lc_r.

What is should really use under FreeBSD is:

	4.x:  PTHREAD_LIBS=-pthread -lc_r
	5.x:  PTHREAD_LIBS=-lc_r

configure could achieve this by:  1) detecting FreeBSD and the
appropriate version and loading PTHREAD_LIBS appropriately; 2)
appending -lc_r to the existing contents of PTHREAD_LIBS.

Likewise, PTHREAD_CFLAGS should be appended to CPPFLAGS or CFLAGS by
configure.
  --
jmc                               ||   MacroHard --                    \

----------------------------------||       substance, marketing over   |
Web:  http://www.borgsdemons.com  ||       performance, and greed over |

Public Key:  http://www.borgsdemons.com/Personal/pgpkey.asc            |