Re: Balsa distribution formats

On 2001.11.02 20:29 jon@tgpsolutions.com wrote:
> With all the recent problems people have been having compiling balsa,
> etc,
> I think we should re-organize our download page.

A list of all needed packages to compile balsa on each
distrubution in the source tree (INSTALL file) would
already help A LOT. Also some simple installation steps
for these packages .. on debian this is simple (apt-get install ..)
but installing on other distrubutions might be a difficult
task for a beginner .. (he/she does not know that some packages
depend on others)

> It should look something like this:
>
> Source
> * balsa-1.2.2.tar.gz
> * libesmtp-0.8.6.tar.gz (download from libesmtp's site)
   * libtool
   * ispell
   * ...

> Binaries
>
>   Redhat
>   * balsa-1.2.2-rh72.i386.rpm
>   * balsa-1.2.2-rh71.i386.rpm
>   * balsa-1.2.2-rh70.i386.rpm
>   * balsa-1.2.2-rh6x.i386.rpm
>   * libesmtp-0.8.6-rh7x.i386.rpm
>   * libesmtp-0.8.6-rh6x.i386.rpm
     * libtool
     * ispell
     * ...

>   Debian
>   * ...
>

> The benefit of doing all this work is that beginners will be encouraged
> use (and possibly later contribute to) balsa, since it is so simple to
> install.

idd

> The obvious downside is that we'll need people to compile balsa... is
> anyone an expert on creating RPMs?

And .deb packages. Slackware .. rpm's for Mandrake/Suse/...

--
Philip van Hoof aka freax (http://www.freax.eu.org)
irc: irc.openprojects.net mailto:freax @ pandora.be