empty subjects and bodies

I just installed balsa on a FreeBSD-4.3-i386, from the ports
collestion.  I did make install and it all went smoothly.

I left pretty much every preference to the defaults.  I've sent a few test
messages to other accounts I use, and they all come out with empty subject
lines and bodies, no matter what I type.  Pine works fine.  I've gone over
all the preferences, I searched the archives and can't find anything which
gives me a clue.

Could someone give me a clue?  Why are my e-mails empty and what can I do
about it?

KeMpKeS

	You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who
	makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe
	diarrhea.

                -- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey