Re: A couple of technical questions

On 2001.05.08 00:38:20 +0100 Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:
> Greeting:
>
> Excuse me for sounding a little terse.  I'm very fustrated with trying,
> over
> many months, to compile Balsa.  I can get the binary RPM's to work without
> ispell pupport, but I've seen this function better.

what sources are you using ?

> It's just bang bang bang - one thing after the next.  This package, like
> many
> gnome packages of late, just completely is in source code Chaos.

ever considered your build tool chain maybe broken as far as gnome
is concerned ?

> Even the
> ./configure --enable-gtkhtml --with-gnome
> fails.

what errors ?

> =============== Final configuration ===================
>     Installing into prefix: /usr/local
>       Using multithreading: yes
>  Using incomplete features: no
> Installing some files into
>             Gnome's prefix: yes (may require root privileges)
>    Enable compile warnings: yes
>                Use GtkHTML: no
>                   Use LDAP: no
>                    Use GSS: no
>                    Use SSL: no
>           Printing support: no (gnome-print >= 0.25 required)

if ./configure fails how did you get this ?

> And the compile itself fails....
> Making all in intl
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/ruben/balsa-1.1.4/intl'
> gcc -c -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\"
> -DGNULOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\"
> -DLOCALE_ALIAS_PATH=\"/usr/local/share/locale:.\" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I.
> -I../intl -I../lib -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2
> -I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_REENTRANT         -Wall -Wno-uninitialized
>   -Wchar-subscripts -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes
> -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith         -Wno-sign-compare -Wsign-promo
>     -Werror  dcgettext.c
> cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> dcgettext.c: In function `dcgettext__':
> dcgettext.c:300: warning: implicit declaration of function `stpcpy'
> make[2]: *** [dcgettext.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/ruben/balsa-1.1.4/intl'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/ruben/balsa-1.1.4'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
>

> This is a stock Suse 7.1 distro.  It fails to work in Slackware or RH 6.4

there is no rh6.4

> either.

in current cvs balsa/intl is empty and a normal build in a current
distribution shouldn't touch it. i'm not familiar with it's details so
i can't tell why your setup is using it.

in fact it should have been removed from the makefile and packages. pawel ?

> I've had very good student programmers also not able to get this to work.
>
> You need a straight foward installation instruction with working links to
> every library needed straight down, as if gnome itself is not installed.

you can find gnome installation instructions on www.gnome.org
see balsa/INSTALL for balsa instructions.

> and the autoconf needs to be fixed....

what ? where ?

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds