Re: MIME support in balsa...

On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 12:39:03AM +0000, Timothy Alan Chandler wrote:

> On 05 May 2001 23:48:30 +0000 Carlos Morgado wrote:
>
> > Hum, sorry i'm not update with gnome-vfs but iirc it implies bonobo
> > right ?  If that's true i don't see it happening in the near future :)
>
> I'm not sure what it has to do with bonobo, if anything.  The changes
> where made by the Eazel people, I'd imagine for the sake of Nautilus.  As
> far as gnome-vfs dependencies on bonobo, there are none.

ok. good. at some point in the past i was following a discussion about
gnome-vfs in a bonobo only context.
seems like since then monikers was introduced and gnome-vfs was spliced
from bonobo and moniker bindings were created (or something to that efect,
i don't speak bonobo fluently)

> > oh, and it's gnome-mime that's bad not balsa hehehe;)
>
> Yes gnome-mine and gnome-mime-info are both bad, they both have several
> issues.  But balsa is doing things internally (at least here) concerning
> the MIME code that it shouldn't.  Such as, but not limited to, the part

i stand corrected and cluebated :)

> menu that is generated off a GList.  Not all things in the GList are
> supposed to be interpreted as executable, as it stands now balsa is
> creating a menu entry for nearly every node in the list, when it should
> only be making entries for the "view", "open", "edit" and "ascii-view"
> keys when != NULL.  At one time this did work, my guess is they added more
> keys to the list.

oh that's a devel version of the menu and should be considered work in
progress. it does contain lots of silly stuff the user don't care much
about.

> With the number of keys now in the list, it's no longer advantageous to
> create the part menu off that list.  Since we only care about the "view",
> "open", "edit" and "ascii-view" keys, it would make more sense to use a
> static GnomeUIInfo type menu, bind it to the part icon and just disable
> the the menu entries that have NULL key entries associated with them.  It
> would probably save some cycles when balsa renders the part list as well.

"save" too. nod, we certainly don't want to go about executing stuff.
that's a good idea.

> That is unless we go to gnome-vfs, which looks to be quite different.  I
> don't know, just my take on it.  Sorry if this message repeats, according
> to balsa it was never sent.

it was. oh well .. file a bug :\

i was slamming gnome-mime mostly on it's dumbness figuring out file types
when people using borken muas (namely outlook) send everything marked as
application/octet (or somesuch). aparently, as Dietmar Maurer was doing a
nice and cleane job with the gnome-vfs stuff noone cared to fix gnome-mime.

cheers

I am Homer of Borg! Prepare to be... OOooo! donuts!