Re: MIME support in balsa...

On 05 May 2001 23:48:30 +0000 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> Hum, sorry i'm not update with gnome-vfs but iirc it implies bonobo
> right ?  If that's true i don't see it happening in the near future :)

I'm not sure what it has to do with bonobo, if anything.  The changes
where made by the Eazel people, I'd imagine for the sake of Nautilus.  As
far as gnome-vfs dependencies on bonobo, there are none.

> oh, and it's gnome-mime that's bad not balsa hehehe;)

Yes gnome-mine and gnome-mime-info are both bad, they both have several
issues.  But balsa is doing things internally (at least here) concerning
the MIME code that it shouldn't.  Such as, but not limited to, the part
menu that is generated off a GList.  Not all things in the GList are
supposed to be interpreted as executable, as it stands now balsa is
creating a menu entry for nearly every node in the list, when it should
only be making entries for the "view", "open", "edit" and "ascii-view"
keys when != NULL.  At one time this did work, my guess is they added more
keys to the list.

With the number of keys now in the list, it's no longer advantageous to
create the part menu off that list.  Since we only care about the "view",
"open", "edit" and "ascii-view" keys, it would make more sense to use a
static GnomeUIInfo type menu, bind it to the part icon and just disable
the the menu entries that have NULL key entries associated with them.  It
would probably save some cycles when balsa renders the part list as well.

That is unless we go to gnome-vfs, which looks to be quite different.  I
don't know, just my take on it.  Sorry if this message repeats, according
to balsa it was never sent.

-tac
--
Silent leges inter arma.