Re: Viewing gifs in balsa

G'day Sal,

> When I click on a jpg in Balsa it immediately displays the image for me in
> the preview pane. When I click a gif I see this message in the preview
> pane:
>
> "No open or view action defined in GNOME MIME for this content type
> Content Type:application/octet-stream
> Filename./signups_day_week.gif"
>
> The only option I have at that point is to save the gif somewhere on my
> drive. I've searched through /usr/share/mime-info/gnome.mime but can't see
> anything obvious in there.
>
> I'm running Balsa 1.1.1
> Any suggestions?

To make it a little easier (it saves a few steps, such as saving the file to
disk then finding a viewer), in the Control Panel for Balsa, under Mime Types,
find application/octet-stream - highlight it, select "Edit" and in the entry
for View, put in "xv %f" (without the quotes). Any other quick graphic viewer
will do. Now when you get a message as you've described, when you click on the
image, you'll have a new button for the message saying "View part with xv %f"
(or whatever viewer you've decided to use). It's not the same as having the
image appear in the message but it's much faster to view the image this way
than saving to disk, etc.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Gaelyne

 //\         /\\    Gaelyne R. Gasson        gaelyne@videocam.net.au
|| * \ . . / * ||   90 Hilliers Rd           Phone: +61 8 8322-2716
 \\____\X/____//    Reynella, S.A. 5161      Fax:   +61 8 8387-5810
  / *  /O\  * \     Australia                ICQ:   5069384
  \__/  "  \__/     http://videocam.net.au   http://vcsweb.com
                    C64/128 Support  *  Web Hosting  *  Web Design