Re: balsa update

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 09:52:56AM +0200, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> hello!
>
> i have a little request to speak out, i wish i could do coding right
> now myself but i am in exams stress right now so i have no time at
> all:
>
> e.g. you have 10 messageboxes and use procmail to filter them. now you
> get 25-30 new mails within 1-2 hrs and you dont know what kinda emails
> came in and where balsa split them up. means you need to search half day
> to see in which folder balsa put them in. these flags that show how many
> new mails and old mails remain in the folders doesnt help much because
> they are there but they dont DO their job correctly. its useless getting
> informed that there are 2 new mails in this directory and 2 of them are
> unread whenever you enter the directory. you need to get the NEWS and
> STATUS of the emails whenever they get POP3'ed or IMAP'ed.
>
> i usually go may way this..
>
> - starting balsa.
> - leeching emails.
> - going through all mailboxes to see where the emails went in.
>
> sometimes this making me mad then i ask myself what reason these status
> flags have.. i would really appreciate to see them updating whenever i
> pop or sent emails. sometimes some emails remain in the outbox because
> my isp's smtp sucked. i usually dont get informed about this.
>
> maybe we really should work with some way of index files like sylpheed,
> evolution does.

I use balsa since I discover that it does not use file index, and the most
important, it uses standard behaviour for read/unread messages in a
mailbox. So I can use both balsa and mutt for the same mailboxes. mutt see
the same unread and read messages than balsa.

I stopped using netscape communicator since web browser and mail client are
run by the same process (and binary): when browser crash, it also crash the
mail client, and you must rewrite the mail you was patiently writing,
finding some information on the web...

In addition, I found that netscape does not tag read mails with the same
tag that mutt uses. So, going to mutt, we see all the mails with the unread
status.

Currently, I hesitate between balsa and mutt, cause I would like to use a
graphical mail reader, but as powerfull and customisable as mutt is.

If mailbox indexes bring some advantages and performance, it can be
interesting. But if the must be stored on files, the mail reader should be
stored the index files in other directory than the mailboxes one. Mailboxes
are mailboxes, and should kept standard way. Then indexes are mail reader
specific stuff...

> any ideas comments etc. would be appreciated from my side.

Laurent.
--
Laurent CREPET -- laurent.crepet@free.fr
http://megrapet.free.fr/