Balsa crashes vs. unread messages

I am somebody who keeps his balsa running 24/7. Good for testing of course
but I also always use development versions so it happens that lets say
every 6000 years, balsa crashes (thats pretty frequently I know, but hey !
nobody is perfect and sometimes it's X that crashed and then I have the
same problem -described below-).

The problem when this happens is that all messages that I have been reading
are (after restart) set to 'unread'. Now trust me on this, If you keep your
balsa running for a few days and you are subscribed to a lot mailinglists
then you read A LOT mail (oh I just LUV the "Next Unread" button for this,
since my mail is not sorted on date but on Subject, heh thats not the point
here so..whatever). The writing the 'unread'-thing to disk should happen
immediatly in stead of when balsa closes. Doing thins "when balsa closes"
is "SO" Ms windows-programming in my opinion. Most people who use Linux
leave their computer and programs running all day long and the most common
reason why balsa shuts down here is a crash of X or maybe even balsa.
However, my own temporary solution for this is to close and restart balsa
from time to times. Just to make sure all unread-stuff is updated next time
balsa (or another program like X) crashes.

ps. -> I should send this mail to the pan-list to, same problem with pan.
Actually with most programs :-\

Heh, this one has happend before to. Lets say your /home is full and you
restart balsa. It looks like then balsa rewrites an empty config file
because all config is gone then. Btw. this happens with other programs to
(xchat, pan, galeon -> So all the programs that I frequently use) so it's a
design error in most programs I guess :(. I don't belive that this is a
user-error since a lot users often fill their homedir and notice it to late
(I do, and I use my computer like a lot people do).

--
Philip van Hoof aka freax (http://www.freax.eu.org)
irc:irc.openprojects.net mailto:freax @ pandora.be