Re: Just another URL patch...

Am 27.07.2001 14:49:45 schrieb(en) Ali Akcaagac:
[snip]
> now sent yourself an email without any URLS inside.. e.g. write
> yourself an email with e.g. only some lines of random text. make
> sure no 'url' will be included into the mail (e.g. through signatures)
>
> now enter that text with the mouse and you see that the mouse
> shape doesnt change. it stays the
>
>      ---
>      ---
>
> sign. my suggestion would be, to leave the default gtk way of
> mouseshapes for the textfield. the best solution would be for
> your URL routine.

I know this problem... again, it works perfectly with the original LinuxPPC
gtk-1.2.8 rpm's: the mouse cursor in *any* GtkText is the arrow. Ximian Gnome
1.4 came with new (inproved?) RPM's which change the default cursor to the
vertical bar as you observed.

> a) save the old DEFAULT mouseshape value that was provided by GTK
>    for textfield issues. i think it will point to an integer,
>    address or pointer.

It's not that easy. I did not investigate the problem in depth, but there is
not a "getcursor" method whatsoever, neither in gtk+ nor in vanilla X/Xt.
Maybe it's hidden in the current GC? Anyway, I'll check if I can find a
solution for that.

An other idea wopuld be setting a default cursor for all GtkText widgets, both
with and without URL's. In this case, I think the bar would be more logical,
as the text is selectable with the mouse, and then the arrow is less
intuitive.

> so we dont break any consistency within the gtk widget. well its
> just cosmetics and not necessarily needed to be changed but maybe
> an issue to think about.

Cosmetics *are* important as it might confuse users. Think of some really
unlogical stuff in winbloze's gui, and compare that to MacOS, where everything
is *much* easier...

Cheers, Albrecht.

    Albrecht Dreß  -  Monschauer Straße 22  -  D-53121 Bonn (Germany)
      Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  E-Mail albrecht.dress@arcormail.de