broken configure.in?

Hi.
  I seem to have a problem with libmutt/configure. It fails, saying
that gcc doesn't work. The exact line is:

checking whether the C compiler (gcc -pg -I/usr/include/glib-1.2
-I/usr/lib/glib/include -D_REENTRANT         -Wall
-Wchar-subscripts -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith         -Wno-sign-compare -Wsign-promo
    -Werror ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

The interesting thing is that it didn't use to do this, and the problem
seems to come from saying "make clean". It seems odd that so many flags
are set when testing for gcc.

Note that if I run configure from within libmutt (copying the command line
from the output) everything works fine. Also note that though -pg is set in
the above error, it fails in the same way without -pg.

Any ideas what caused this (the recent diffs to configure.in didn't give me
a clue)
	-gordo