Re: PROP: use of Perl Compatible Regular Expressions (long, sorry)

Am 18.07.2001 09:29:34 schrieb(en) Pawel Salek:
> > Attached is a patch against the current cvs tree which, following a
> > proposal by Brian Stafford, enables the use of Perl Compatible Regular
> > Expressions (PCRE).
>
> I commited it. I just have two questions (to whoever can answer them):

Wow!! Thanks!!!! This will *really* help a lot.

> 1. is the libmutt part necessary?

The idea is to have *only* calls to the pcre/posix compatibility functions
*or* to the stuff from glibc (or any other lib). In principle, the pcreposix
header defines the same things as regex.h, but I saw so many different
implementations of the latter one floating around that I just wanted to be
sure not to mix things. Now you can check e.g. for regcomp, and you will only
see one *or* the other. This applies for both the balsa and the libmutt stuff.
So I think it may not be necessary to put it in there, but I feel much
safer...

> 2. How frequently have people PCRE library? I, for one, have no such a
> thing....

Not really frequently, I am afraid, although there are several rpm's around
(e.g. Mandrake). IMHO, we should at least change the INSTALL file (see the
attached patch, which also fixes some other minor things there). However, I
don't think it is bad to support this kind of rarely used lib (think of
libesmtp!).

Thanks, Albrecht.

    Albrecht Dreß  -  Monschauer Straße 22  -  D-53121 Bonn (Germany)
      Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  E-Mail albrecht.dress@arcormail.de

balsa-INSTALL-diff.20010718.gz