Re: new Customize menu

Hi,

On 2001.07.17 12:26 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> it's a gtk "widget" that builds menus from an array of menu defs

Menu defs that seem overly complicated and probably have side effects that
need to be worked around, or don't provide preview possibilities, or do not
allow on-the-fly construction.....
If I look at the code that used to be there to construct toolbars, I have a
tendency to start screaming.
Such an ill-designed toolbar-generation interface I have never seen. I mean,
come on, using #define's to reference toolbar items by _position_ in
statically allocated structs... it means, for example, that in
sendmsg-window.c it was necessary to save wiget handles in private
structures, because there is no way to acces a widget handle of window A (a
message window) when window B (another message indow) is open becaue A's
handles get overwritten by B's.....
This really was designed with applications in mind that need only one
instance of a given window open at any given time. As a matter of fact, it
was designed for main window toolbars, no more, no less.
There is no decent API to modify toolbars once they're in place, and I have
not found a safe way to remove a toolbar from a window without leavong the
dock on the window in place.
It actually took over 30 minutes of work to find out how to remove a toolbar
button from an existing toolbar, and another 30 minutes to work around a
gnome bug that turned up in the process.
Thry settinga toolbars style, then adding buttons, you'll find out what I
mean. Apparently, buttons cannot be added to a toolbar once the style is
changed to something other than BOTH icons and labels. The add does not
fail, it's silently ignored!
That, to me, is a bug, a major one.
Toolbar support in gnome is sketchy at best, I prefer the solution we have
now. It's flexible, allows for multiple instances of the same toolbar,
mutilple customizable toolbars in a single window and sharing of toolbar
button across toolbars. What more do you want? Ah, yes, on the fly creation
of toolbars, customization dialog, preview, in-place-update .....
I'd rather use something I know and can modify than something I don't know,
can't modify and I know is buggy.

Cheers,

Melanie