Re: Patches

On 2001.07.15 23:14 M . Thielker wrote:
> > This is not mentioned in HACKING, but the loops
> >     for(i=0;i<MAXTOOLBARITEMS;i++)
> > 	{
> >
> > should be rather formatted as
> >
> >     for(i=0; i<MAXTOOLBARITEMS; i++) {
> >
> > (libmutt is an exception).
> >
> Hmm, there's been much discussion about this in various forums on the
> 'net.
> I personally prefer my indentation style, because it keeps the braces
> aligned:

I did not say it was the perfect indentation style. I have my personal
preferences, too. It is just the style used in balsa, that's all. :-). I
can imagine there are many perfectly valid arguments for using other
intentation.

> > All global function should have description covering the purpose of the
> > function, the input and output arguments. If a pointer is returned, it
> > should be clearly stated if it should be released (disctinction between
> > char* and const char* is useful).
> >
> I wish that was the case for all functions, unfortunately, most are
> undocumented......

That's pity, I agree. I try to change it but it takes time...

> > If the code is not dependent on balsa_app, it should go into libbalsa,
> > whenever possible (I am not sure if it applies here, I mention it just
> > in case).
> >
> I really don't see the point of dividing it that way. I much more like to
> draw the line at the point where a function becomes generally usable. If
> any program other than Balsa itself could put a mail handling or mail
> display function to use, it should go into the lib, is my opinion.

This is not a strict requirement -as I wrote - but the puropose is to
encourage writing a clean code with well-defined interface to other
procedures. I think also that in principle such toolbar builder can be
useful for other applications as well, not only for balsa.

> > file toolbar-prefs.c:
> > toolbar_buttons - should not the strings be marked for translation?
> >
> Yes! But I don't really understand how that translation stuff works....
> What is the "po" subdir and how is it used?

I would need to copy entire section 5.2 from GGAD book here :-). (the one I
have sent you URL to).

Anyway, I am glad this patch is in because it permanently solves questions
of style "I would like to have this and this in the toolbar" :-).

/Pawel