Re: Patches

Em Dom, 15 Jul 2001 02:06:22 M . Thielker escreveu:
> Hi,
>
>  there is a question I'd like to ask:
> While I have made numerous patches in those past few days, none of them have
> made it into CVS. I get the impression that all the patches I make that
> change the UI aren't even considered for inclusion.

you made numerous patches, most final versions of each other and needing each
other. the patches must be read, tested and if not bugfixes discussed. that
takes time. the better part of balsa-maintainers seems to have little time for
email this last days. be patiente

> It is my goal to make Balsa into a full featured email program, that can be
> used in day-to-day work by just about anyone. But if all my work does not

does that mean *evolution* ?
imho, mutt is not pine. balsa is not evolution.

> even have a chance to get into the project, I might just as well make all
> the patches I need for myself and keep them to myself, too.
> It has never been a GoodThing to have too many patches floating around,
> maybe even patches that are incompatible to each other, it's a sure way to
> kill a project. I don't want that. The goal cannot be that everyone has her
> personal Balsa, patched to fit. There should be one Balsa, and I think it
> can profit from my work. But if my patches are not wanted, I won't post them
> anymore.

you are blaming people for not having time to review and apply *all* your
patches. also, you seem to imply *all* your patches should go into cvs
specially
the ones changing UI. that, imho it's wrong. i've had stuff rejected, reverted

off cvs and paperbagged. that *is* natural.
speaking for myself, i'm not going to commit your patches to main the moment i
get
them. and that goes for mostly everyone's patches (even mine at times). if you
read
the changelog you'll notice most contributed patches are commited by pawel.
that
means he has final word after debate. as it stands, your UI patches haven't
been
debated and your bugfixes haven't been tested thouroughly. also, i was rather
hoping
for some input from Peter about them as most seem to be imap related.

having enough time, i'm planning on creating a cvs branch where all your
patches
will be commited for testing. so, could you please post a list of the final
final
versions of your patches. i must say i'm a bit lost now and can't say i'm
tracking
all your stuff.

again, *use the std balsa indentation*. your patches are *very* dificult to
read
(at least for me) cause your indentation is wrong and clashes with context.

please don't roll smaller patches into bigger ones. it just makes everything
more
dificult. small (even interdependent) patches are easier to read and test.

use bugzilla. please.

and please keep in mind balsa is not a Product. it moves in it's own
collective
timming.

also, despite being the most active now, i'm *not* *the* balsa guy. regard my
comments as the ones from any other person on the list.

cheers

With the birds I'll share this lonely view.
%