Re: PATCH: IMAP flag handling and new mail notification

Hi Carlos,

On 2001.07.15 02:08 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> Em Sab, 14 Jul 2001 14:06:30 M . Thielker escreveu:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  here's one that _really_ ought to go into CVS.
> >
> > Fixes:
> > - Message flags "Seen", "Answered" and "Flagged" are lost when
> >   a message is moved into an IMAP folder
>
> no, they're not

Yes, they are. The flags stay with the message, but are not displayed while
the message is in the IMAP folder. The reason is that libmutt will indeed
store Status: and X-Status:, but didn't translate them into proper IMAP
message flags. This is now done in addition to storing the header lines with
the message. The flags are passed with the APPEND IMAP command, as is
proper.

> > - Messages freshly moved into IMAP folders, but never opened from
> >   there will appear as new messages the next time Balsa starts
>
> no, they're not

Yes, they are. If a message is inserted into an IMAP folder, the
non-user-controllable \Recent flag is set. libmutt erroneously uses that,
rather than \Seen, to indicate new messages. Balsa does properly update the
message totals, so the IMAP server and Balsa are out of sync. If you do NOT
open the IMAP folder again, but close Balsa, then restart, it will see the
messages as new on the next mailbox check.
I changed libmutt to look for the \Seen flag instead. Comments there
indicated that the original authors didnDt really know the distinction
between the two and chose \Recent rather randomly.
Additionally, the \Seen flag is now set properly, so everything stys in
sync.

> > - New Mail sound not working properly
> >

> is there a new mail sound ? :)

Yes, there is. The default is "(Female)Oh my god (Male)you've got mail
(Female)......!". It's configurable through the gnome control panel.

> i'm using wu-imapd (imap-2000-2.6 from rh6.2) what are you using ?
> peter, can you shed some light ?

I'm using Cyrus imapd.

Cheers,

Melanie