Re: Mail Send problems 1.6 CVS

On Fri,  6 July 13:12 Stephen Binks wrote:
> Hi Brian
>
> libesmtp 0.8.2 (/usr/lib/libesmtp.so.5.0.3)
>
> uname -a
> Linux steveb.binkshome 2.4.5-10 #1 Wed Jun 27
> 14:45:23 EDT 2001 i686 unknown
>
> I have also noted that by changing the Outgoing
> Mail Server from mail.icenet.com.au (my ISP) to
> localhost:25, the attachment size increases above
> 50k but still does the same for > 100k
>
> Hope this helps

Earlier on this list there was a similar problem. I've pasted in
the comment made at the time :-

>> OK... I have completely resolved this issue by dumping the stock
>> RedHat 7.1 kernel 2.4.2 (with over 100 patches applied by RH) and
>> replacing it with my own, unpatched kernel 2.4.5 with only those
>> items I need built in.

I wonder if you are experiencing something similar?

This is a problem I just can't repeat.  I've sent messages up
to about 8MB to a whole slew of servers without problems both in the
example program and in Balsa.  However I still use a 2.2.18 kernel.

For now the best I can suggest is to see if the problem reproduces
when using the libESMTP example program.

The bit that puzzles me is why it matters about attachments. libESMTP
has no knowledge of the structure of a message beyond the headers.
After that it just copies data line by line to the server.
Is it possible the attachments might contain long lines
(> 1000 characters) that are not encoded using base64 or quoted-printable.
This might cause some servers problems.

Cheers
Brian Stafford