Re: Sending messages is slow

On 2001.07.05 14:38:06 +0100 Olaf Frączyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use balsa 1.1.4.
> When I send message with an attachment (~7 MB) (SMTP), the balse freezes
> for about 40 seconds,eats all CPU), afterwards I get dialog box with

that's the time it takes to convert a 7M (barf!) attachment into MIME
base64 or something.
solution: don't send 7M attachments.

> "Sending mail" progress bar. Of course, when sending bigger files it takes
> longer :((
>
> 1. It shouldn't freeze - a dialog with progress bar should be shown,
> what balsa do at this time (encoding?), anyway long time.

humm .. true. but spawning a thread prolly takes longer than processing
sensible messages so it would be a loss for most people.
smtp *is* threaded though.

> 2. Sending is quite slow (I have Celeron 466, 384 MB), and I send using
> SMTP on the same machine.
> Two balsa processes 24% and 15% CPU, one sendmail process (30%CPU),
> X - 11 %CPU, other - rest of the CPU.

that is weird. once the encoding is cpu should be negligable as nor balsa
nor sendmail are making any real processing of the data, just pipping it
through.

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds