Re: SMTP relay error

Sounds like you might have the original version of Balsa's SMTP
client.  This *never* worked for me and the error message quoted
is the one I always got.  The original SMTP client has a great many
bugs and does not properly implement rfc 821 (or rfc 2821).

> You're probably right.  Try
>
> telnet your.isps.smtp.host.com 25
> EHLO yourmachine.com (make something up?)
> MAIL FROM: you@youraddress
> QUIT
>
> If it gives you a error about relaying, the ISP is rejecting your mail.

I'd advise giving a RCPT TO: as well since not all MTAs reject
until they've seen both sender and recipient mailboxes.  When this
is the case the MAIL FROM command will succeed unless it contains
syntax errors.  BTW the syntax is slightly wrong in the MAIL FROM above

MAIL FROM:<you@youraddress>

If the 1st digit of the status code after MAIL FROM: and a legitimate
mail address is 2 then issue

RCPT TO:<recipient@recipient.domain>

If this responds with a 2xx status all is well, otherwise there is
a problem.  But make sure both sender and recipient mailboxes are
real mailboxes otherwise the test may not work.

> See also: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc821.txt

rfc2821.txt is the current standard, rfc821 is now obsolete.

> Karl <kop@meme.com>
Brian Stafford