Re: [asim colltech com: attachments?]

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Asim Zuberi wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> When I send an email with the attachment, the attachments goes as a
> "Application/Octet-stream"
> type, even though it is just a plain text file, does anyone knows, how
> balsa determines that
> and why it just didn't get attach as "plain text" instead?

Balsa uses GNOME's mime-type routines, which look at the file name
extension.  If your text/plain attachment has an extension other than .txt
it gets recognized as unknown, and defaults to application/octet-stream.  I
looked into using the mime routines that peek at the file itself but they
didn't seem to do any better at recognizing plain text with odd extensions,
and caused more problems by calling .ps and .pdf files text/plain.

There are better mime routines forthcoming in gnome-vfs AFAIK, but I don't
think we should depend on an unstable module yet (perhaps after GNOME 1.4
release).

> Also, when the next release of balsa is expected?

When it's ready. (I still want to see filters)

MBG

--
Matthew Guenther                        Adult, n.:
guentherm@asme.org                      	One old enough to know better.