Tree style

The style of Balsa's trees (mailbox and thread) has changed randomly
with various upgrades, and I now find it noisy. Lines joining unrelated
items, like the heads of successive threads, and little square boxes
with +/- signs are pure clutter (the latter appeared when I upgraded
from RH7.1 to RH7.2). Since these styles aren't set explicitly in Balsa
code (well, lines for threaded messages are, but that's all), it seems
that Balsa follows whatever is the default, and that seems to have
changed for the worse (at least to my eye, and along my journey through
distributions).

IMO, the simple triangles

|\
|/

for `can be expanded' and
____
\  /
  \/

for `is expanded' say it all, and, with no lines, give a cleaner look.

Of course, I'm not a designer...would someone with a design background
like to comment?