Re: Handling of delete with IMAP

On 2001.12.15 07:20 Pawel Salek wrote:

> On 2001.12.15 13:10 M. Thielker wrote:
>> On 2001.12.15 12:53 Peter Bloomfield wrote:
>>>   One problem arises: `Delete' immediately removes the message from
>>> the index, so you don't get a chance to change your mind, as you
>>> would if you moved the message to Trash.
>>
>> Please, please, make that an option in prefs. I positively _hate_ it
>> when MUAs do that! When I delete a message, I don't want to see it
>> any more. I don't like having spam sticking around with a trashcan
>> icon next to it, it clutters my inbox. I also don't want to
>> close/commit it all the time. I like it just the way it is!

You're right, it should be a user preference. If only there were a less
tedious mechanism for coding one...sigh...oh well, I suppose if it were
easier, the prefs pages would be a book already!

> What about a menu check box: show/hide deleted messages. The undelete
> menu entry would be enabled when deleted messages are shown and a
> deleted message is selected.
>
> -pawel

Show/hide is a bit harder to implement, at least if `hide' is intended
to be reversible. The simplest version would be:

When I `Delete' a message:
[x] delete it immediately and irretrievably;
[ ] mark it as deleted with the option to `Undelete' it.