Re: RFC: Experimental patch against libESMTP 0.8.8 to eliminate libltdl

Hi Brian,

  I have worked with numerous versions and distributions of Unix and Linux.
I have never used, or needed, libtool.
I actually don't know what it's for, because shared libraries were
supported natively by all those systems.

On SCO OSR5, the header is dlfcn.h, the library is libdl.so
SCO OSR3.2v4.2 does not support dynamic linking and loading, but the
release has beed end-of-lifed 5 years ago.
All Linuxes I have ever seen supported it in either libdl.so or libc.so
with the header dlfcn.h.

It all seems to be very standard, I see no need to use libtool or it's
libraries.

Oh, yes, making libs:

any linker options, use -Wl,<linker option>, e.g. -Wl,-Bexport:exportlist.

I have never experienced problems with native dl* on any system. I have
used it extensively in my commercial products.

Hope that helps,

Melanie