Re: bug with the Message-ID ?

Hi,

On 2001.12.03 13:17 Carlos Morgado wrote:
> Compuserve seems to still be a bbs. Welcome to the Internet. if you
> really really want to use compuserve twist one of the existing smtp
> proxys to strip message-ids

As a matter of fact, _I_ don't want to use CIS. I don't, it's just what I
use to dial in when i'm travelling. I still connect to my regular mail
server, I haven't checked my CIS mailbox in at least 2 years....

Anyway, I think we need to focus on usability. Your average home desktop
user, with a CIS account and _no_ knowledge of protocols and standards,
cannot possibly be expected to be able to configure and maintain something
like that.
Basically, RFC 2822 does not require a message id on a message that is
_submitted_ via SMTP and Balsa, by definition, does not relay. So, if it's
a confusing checkbox that you want to avoid, just have Balsa never generate
message id's. That would make it work with all mail systems, including CIS.

And, yes, CIS _is_ still a BBS. Try to connect to a CIS dialin manually and
you will be presented with the old, text based, 40 chars wide BBS system
they used to have in the 80s. Underneath all the glitter of WinCim, it's
still there and actually still usable!

Melanie