SMTP Problems

I am running balsa 1.2.3 with libesmtp-0.8.7 both installed from source.
Everything worked fine.

When I try to send email via SMTP I get the pop up dialog box: Message
submission problem, placing it in your outbox.  System will attempt to
resubmit the message until you delete it.

My ISP is compuserve. I have checked my mail setting very thouroughly.

I set the stmp server to smtp.compuserve.de:25 -- the problem is the
same.

I know that the compuserve smtp server works because I am sending this
via
netscape.

When comparing the headers of an email send by netscape vs. balsa I
found a difference in the message-id:
netscape: Message-ID: <3BF223EC.F2514A11@compuserve.de>
balsa:    Message-ID: <3BF223EC.F2514A11@Hugo.comic.net>
Perhaps may cause this the smtp-Problem - does  compuserve expect an
<@compuserve.de> in the message-id?

Does anybody have any suggestions as to why this is not working?  Is it
a bug in balsa or libesmtp or something else?  If its not a bug then how
do I fix it?

yours