Re: Newbie question...

On 2001.08.30 11:40 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> On 2001.08.30 10:26:22 +0100 Toralf Lund wrote:
>
> > > Filters are scheduled for the next development cycle. Meanwhile you
> can
> > > use
> > > procmail (as someone else explained)
> > Personally, I believe that the MTA should do the filtering, not the
> MUA,
> > but I guess not everyone can switch to Exim like I did...
> >

> Why would an MTA care for what the archane way a user likes his mail to
> be
> sorted ? That's a MUA function that can be moved to deliver for
> efficiency.
> The MTA shouldn't be involved in mail sorting.
Actually, like someone else pointed out, this is really "MDA"
functionality.

A simple reason why I prefer this is that I want the messages to be
delivered/sorted in the same way no matter what client I use. I use IMAP
for everything, of course, which also means that MUA filtering would update
the _server_ layout, which doesn't seem right to me.