Re: balsa no-thread crash detected

On Fri, 24 August 15:15 Timothy Alan Chandler wrote:
> On 2001.08.24 08:00 Brian Stafford wrote:
>
> > If libESMTP in balsa works for you why use another configuration to
> > achieve the same thing?  I don't understand.  Is Balsa+libESMTP less
> > efficient than Balsa+qmail's sendmail?  Or are you saying that you
> > don't want to use libESMTP because measurements on other SMTP clients
> > showed poor performance wrt QMQP?  Your previous message implies you
> > can't adopt libESMTP because the SMTP reputation is already tarnished
> > by your previous measurements.
>
> Because at the time, we lacked any other choice.
>
> Nothing supported libESMTP, and quite frankly I didn't know it even
> existed.

Well, it is fairly recent.  The original release was in February.

>  When switching to QMQP we noticed a significant decrease in
> resource usage on the mail server (20-25% decrease overall).  Grant it,
> prior to using QMQP we had to depend on less than efficient SMTP
> implementations.  I don't know if balsa+libESMTP is more efficient than
> balsa+sendmail.QMQP or even as efficient, but I plan on finding out when
> time permits.

OK.

> There is nothing stopping us from adopting SMTP via libESMTP, it will just
> take more time and effort than it did to adopt QMQP since it has to be
> hardcoded in all MUA in use.  Time and effort I'm not willing to spend
> unless I'm sure libESMTP can achieve the same overall performance.

There is a program I've half written which is effectively the libESMTP
example program but with sendmail compatible command arguments.  I only
work on this occasionally because I'm currently occupied with making
libESMTP ready for version 1.0.  Sounds like this program would be of use
to you.

Brian Stafford