Re: pre-connect and smtp ?

On Mon, 20 August 12:03 christophe barbé wrote:

> Le lun, 20 aoû 2001 12:50:56, Brian Stafford a écrit :
> > On Sun, 19 August 20:36 christophe barbe wrote:
> > > Yes as Melanie said it, It's not really about encryption it's more
> > about
> > > port forwarding.
> >
> > Well, see my comments about port forwarding in my other reply on this
> > topic.
> >

> Done and I fully understand that it is not an acceptable solutiobn from the
> securrity point of view.

OK

> > I can see why you'd want to do this with POP or IMAP, but there doesn't
> > seem to be a lot of reason to do it for SMTP except perhaps for
> > authenticated relay.  But then SMTP has all the necessary AUTH and
> > STARTTLS
> > facilities in the protocol.  Use a server that provides these instead of
> > using a hack.  LibESMTP provides the support and it works.
>
> How can I check if my smtp server support it ?

Either check the MTA's documentation or telnet yourhost.example.org on 25 or 587
when the server prints the greeting, say :-

	ehlo my.localhost.name

The server should respond with a list of supported extensions.
"quit" will exit the session.

> Is there some documentation on how to use it with balsa ?

No configuration required.  If the server supports the extension, libESMTP
will use it if necessary.

Brian Stafford