Re: GnomeCard, AddressBook fixes.

On 2001.08.15 16:15:37 +0200 christophe barbe wrote:
> I've checked and tested the patch. It looks good for me.
>
> I've just two notes :
>
> 1. you do something like:
>
> if (field1_defined && field2_defined && field3_defined)
> 	save 3 fields
> if (field1_defined && field2_defined)
> 	save 2 fields
> if (field1_defined)
> 	save 1 field
>
> So it should be impossible to save a card with only a first name
> (I mean only field2). Would it be better to do something like:
>
> if (field3_defined)
> 	save 3 fields
> if (field2_defined)
> 	save 2 fields
> if (field1_defined)
> 	save 1 field
>
> With empty filed when not defined. This will still fix your point
> 3 'tailing semicolon'.

yes, i've thought about this myself but ended in this. reason, if
someone enters just the middle name, then doing this doesn't have
any serious reasons, entering the first & middle name doesn't have
any serious meanings too, entering middle & last name doesn't too,
so we ensure that we have all 3 fields filled in. same goes if i
have only 2 values defined and not the middle one. same goes for
only 1 values. theres also a special case that i will explain later
here.

in all cases i've thought the way of how 'balsa' acts. usually we
select the email, press store address and it gets saved without that
we change something, in my own opinion we should disable the possibility
to change the 'text' inside the textwidgets e.g. the manual manipulation
of the first, middle and last name but i left them the way it is (for now).

[case 1]-----------------------------------------------------

if we get an email named this:

Emmanuel <e.allaud@wanadoo.fr>

balsa takes 'Emmanuel' as first name, that's why we use the last if clause
were we give only one name back, the other 2 fields are empty. that means
we get an entry that looks like this:

N:;Emmanuel

you see the semicolon there, this has to be there because of the fact that
the first name is the 2n'd value in a valid vcard. if you use gnome-pim and
enter the firstname only, then it must safe that empty semicolon to know
after reloading that vcard, that this is the firstname

[case 2]-----------------------------------------------------

the other logical balsa behave would be:

Pawel Salek <pawsa@TheoChem.kth.se>

now balsa takes 'Pawel' as first name, 'Salek' as last name. this looks
like this now:

N:Salek;Pawel

last field 'usually the middle name' is not shown the usual behave.

[case 3]-----------------------------------------------------

the next logical case would be something like this:

John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>

looks like this:

N:Cooper;John;Merryweather

looks logical too or ? thats how balsa 'is getting the values'

[case 4]-----------------------------------------------------

oki and now the problem fields that may happen and that you probably
want to explain to me. there are some unbehaves in this all. this starts
whenever people try to fool the function, now how does this 'fooling'
work ? let's use the same name again:

John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>

balsa is getting this name and the user do some silly things now. he
goes to the first name textentry and delete the first name so the
middle and last name remain shown. normally you would expect balsa to
store the 'middle name' and 'last name' to the addressbook, but that
is a stupid case, who want's to do such a thing ?

another way, you delete the first and the middle name so you expect
balsa to store the last name only, or the last scenario would be to
delete the first and the last name so he wants to store the middle
name only...

but now i thought the way how balsa would behave, if 'balsa' finds
an email address e.g. like this:

jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net

then there is no first name, no last name and no middle name, so the
fields aren't saved. so all in all we have only four cases at all,
the special cases were we 'fool' things like shown above are absurd
so i don't allow them beeing saved because it's not the way the mail
arrived, not the way it should be done and not the way of intelligence.
only in case of deleting the fields contents, this is of course different
if we change the contents e.g.

John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>

change the name 'John' to 'JOHN' thats of course valid.

> 2. Ali what's your middle name ? Now that I'm middle name aware (-;

i don't have one :)

ps: hey john, sorry for abusing your name for my comments but you are
    the only person in this mailinglist, that i found that fast with
    a middle name :=)

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de