Balsa won't download from POP server!

Balsa looks like it ought to be a nice email client but to date I've
been unable to get it to download email from my POP server although
I can send email OK with it.

When I have it check for new mail, the "Checking Mail" window
almost immediately says "Finished checking" (like it's never
looked beyond my own PC) but there's never any mail in the InBox.

I have no problem downloading email with either Netscape or Mozilla
and used the same server settings in Balsa but to no avail.

I've tried Balsa versions 1.1.1 and 1.1.7 with the same results.

I'm running Red Hat 7.1 on a Pentium II PC, connecting to my ISP
via a cable modem.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,
Charles Sullivan