Re: Building with libiconv

On Thu,  9 August 17:59 John Merryweather Cooper wrote:

> It would be real, real nice (for FreeBSD) if this patch would incorporate
> the FreeBSD names as an alternative (or allow alternate names to be
> substituted).  To avoid the problem that you speak of, FreeBSD has renamed
> the iconv library in question to giconv and iconv_open to libiconv_open
> (since FreeBSD has three or four different iconv libraries . . . ).
>
> Then I wouldn't have to hack configure.in and used automake.

Hi John,

nothing to do with the iconv library is simple :(

With the libiconv install out of the box, it supplies a replacement
iconv.h which #defines iconv_open() to libiconv_open() etc.  If this
header is in the compiler's include search path, it overrides the one
used by libc making it difficult to link without -liconv

For the BSD case, does iconv.h remain iconv.h or is it giconv.h?
And just to confirm, the correct ld flag is -lgiconv.

Cheers,
Brian