Re: huge mailboxes

Em Seg, 23 Jul 2001 08:54:42 Pawel Salek escreveu:

mailbox format can be used by many
> mail programs, not only balsa.
>
> Frankly, I am going to collect all the pros and cons for using different
> mailbox formats. Somebody posted here maildir description URL
> http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html
>
> Has anybody got more information about mailbox formats analized from the
> performance angle? Or such a collection already exists?

dunno, but it's common wisdom (ah!) readdir() on some nfs implementations
sucks dead man balls and makes mh/maildir with something like 2000 or 4000
messages depressing. also, locking issues and creat()/unlink() races on
nfs. lets not go there :)

also, if you ever used digital unix (osf, tru64) with UFS you know large
directories are sooooooo slow you can go get a cup of cofee. feels like
something in the neighbourhood of O(n^2) (no real data, no reason why it
would be like that). a rm on a dir with something like 5000 on an older
alpha station can take *minutes* (kid you not - sendmail relaying for an
hiffy smtp gatewawy).

ok ... this didn't help :) except for the point that statistics on this
would need to be *very* extensive.

cheers

^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G^G