Re: Tab Focus

On 2000-09-24 19:04:01 James A. Laska wrote:
> With Pawel's changes to support keyboard/enter navigation in
> mblist-window, it
> would make sense to provide tab key sopport between the different windows
> (mailbox, msg-list, msg) of balsa.  This would contradict the change:
>
>         * src/balsa-index-page.c: make the message index not focusable in
>         order to simplify the keyboard navigation (next and prev ara
>         available through shortcuts anyway).
>
> But I think it would be better to select your focus before determining
> the action.  Plus, keyboard navigation is always quicker than the mouse.

I see my approach to the keyboard navigation is not self-explanatory. Too
bad. I will try again: the point with making message index unfocusable is
to make message scrolling easier and make key usage more consistent no
matter if the message list hes the focus, or message preview.

I guess that most of the people want to scroll the message with PgUp/PgDown
and arrow keys, while moving through the list of messages one by one is
most often satisfactory. By making the message index unfocusable,
PgUp/PgDown and arrow keys always scroll the message, and 'P' and 'N' move
you to previous and next message, respectively. It is an improvement, IMO,
and I don't see a reason why one would like to have focus on mailbox index
(am I missing something obvious?).

/Pawel
--
Pawel Salek (pawsa@theochem.kth.se) http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/
Theoretical Chemistry Division, KTH voice: +46 8 790-8202