Balsa and fonts in Compose

My problem with balsa is that whatever I do I seems to be unable to
change
the font in compose window.   For received window font changes fine.
I first noticed the problem trying to set koi8 russian font.
It was recognized fine, but typing in still produced accented characters

from standard Latin font. (and yes I immediately checked that in
gnome-terminal
same font produces nice cyrillic).

But the I just tried to change the size and boldness of a font, and this
also
did not work for composing messages.
Although size/boldness of the font for the received messages was
changing as expected.

            Best regards, Dmitri Pogosyan

I tried both RPM and compiled by myself version.