Build problem: checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... no

There seems to be a conflict between building balsa and Helix Gnome.

I can't find an answer to this in the balsa mailing list archive or the
FAQ.

Basically, the configure doesn't think glib is >= release 1.2, but the
Helix
Gnome desktop I installed includes this:

ii  libglib1.2     1.2.8-helix1   The GLib library of C routines

Doesn't that mean that I have glib >= release 1.2?

glib-config isn't found:

checking for glib-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found

Is this a problem with version numbering from Helix Gnome?  It's been a
while
since I did Gnome, so when I installed it, gnome.org sent me to Helix, and
simply installed it from there.

I've searched the Internet for clues about where glib-config is or should
be,
but can't find a clear answer.

Thanks for your help.
--