import messages from Kmail??

Hello all.

I am trying to switch from Kmail to Balsa. When I started Balsa up, it asked
for my mail directory, which I provided (~/Mail) but my old messages did not
appear in the folders when Balsa started up. How can I import old Kmail
messages into Balsa?

I also have some older messages in Netscape-mail style folder. I would like to
import these as well.

In the same vein, is there any place on the 'net that describes the types of
e-mail storage formats available under Linux, and which user e-mail programs
use what? I have heard about e-mail being stored under the user's home
directory, under /var/mail,  and about mbox-style mail storage, as well as some
others. Is there any place that describes these formats in detail?

thanks

allen
paket@home.com