Re: Balsa as a newsreader?!

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:32:54 Karol Bryd wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 08:11:56AM -0700, Matthew Guenther wrote:
> > I can't speak for the rest of the development team, but I for one would
> > rather not see Balsa do newsreading.  There are several reasons:
> >
> > 1) Size.  I want a fast, convenient mail reader, and having a news
> component
> > in there is going to make things bigger and slower.
>
> As I wrote earlier, most of code of a newsreader is already in Balsa,
> message parsing, displaying, composing, 95% of GUI etc. There wouldn;t
> be much of new code, nntp i/o is just 15-20KB, simple configuration
> window similarly, I think that whole thing would not be bigger than
> 100KB of source code (am I wrong?).
>

>From an implementation point of view, you probably just want to subclass
LibBalsaMailbox to create LibBalsaMailboxNews (or something), then add the
relavent options to the add new mailbox dialogs etc. Possible a new
subclass of LibBalsaServer might be needed so multiple NNTP mailboxes can
share connections (I believe this is the eventual plan with IMAP, but not
done yet.)

Personally I am not bothered by the presense of NNTP In balsa, so do it if
you want...

Ian.

--
Ian Campbell