How To CVS?

I'm sure I deserve to be flamed for this....  I really like balsa and would
like to use the CVS version to take advantage of procmail filtering.  I am
able to retrieve the source tree with no problem.  But I know almost
nothing about using autoconf, automake, etc., and I can't figure out how to
build it, or even how to generate a configure script.  Any help
appreciated... flames, laughter, etc., humbly accepted.

Thanks,
bill